Kindle Keeper Tutorial

Pin It
I know it’s not Tuesday but I’m changing things up a bit and posting this tutorial today. (I normally post my tutorials on tuesday…).. Next Tuesday I’m *hoping* to be able to have a much needed  shop update!

I got a Kindle a few years ago, and have loved it! When I saw they were coming out with a new one, I decided it was time to pass mine onto my daughter (less books to haul around at at school).  The new one came this week and my old cover didn’t fit it. I knew very quickly that it would need a cover to survive bouncing around in the depths of my very unorganized purse!

This project is a great scrap buster!  I used some fabric I had left over from that sneak peek last week.

It’s lined with fusible fleece and corduroy.  I wanted something soft but was not in to mood to work with Snuggles/Minke.  The corduroy gave it great softness without creating any bulk.

To keep it from getting dirty, I laminated the fabric first. Now I can just wipe it clean.

You will need:

2 piece of fabric for the front and back, each 6″x8.5″. (I used home decor weight)

2 pieces fusible fleece 6″ x 8.5″

2 pieces iron on vinyl (buy it in a roll at the fabric store next to the wonder under), 6″ x 8.5″

2 pieces iron on vinyl 4″ x 6″

2 pieces fabric for flap 4″ x 6″

2 pieces corduroy 6″ x 8.5″

2 pieces 2″ wide ribbon 16″ long

Teflon foot. You MUST have this to sew on the iron on vinyl. trust me :)

**edited to add:.. As I’ve been using this I think the measurements are a bit snug, IF you line it with anything heavy (like Minke, Snuggle, or thick corduroy I would recommend increasing your measurements by 1/2″… so 6.5″ x 9″….

**note: if I were to make this project again, I would use a light weight fusible interfacing on the back of the corduroy pieces.  They stretched a bit and could use some stabilization.

ALL seams are 1/4″ unless noted

First apply the iron on vinyl to your front and back pieces and flap and flap lining pieces. To do this, peel the vinyl off of the paper. KEEP THE PAPER.

Place the vinyl sticky side down onto the right side of the fabric.

Place the paper (you just peeled off the vinyl) shiny down on top of the fabric/vinyl. You will have the grid side up. Make sure that the vinyl is completely covered (unless you want a mess on your iron!) and iron.

KEEP your paper pieces, once I cut a 16×16 piece of iron on vinyl and I kept the paper backing.  That way its a big enough piece to press your project when you are done. You CAN iron on the vinyl afterwards, you just have to use the paper it came with to protect your iron!

Take one of your pieces of ribbon and pin it to the long side of one of your flap pieces.  Stitch in place.

Using a spool of thread, trace a curve onto the 2 bottom corners of your flap. Place your flap and flap lining pieces together, stitch with a 1/4″ seam.  Clip your corners and turn right side out.  Press (remember to use your leftover paper).

Top stitch the edges.  Set aside.

Using your leftover paper from your vinyl, iron the fusible fleece onto the wrong side of your 2 outside pieces.

Stitch your 2nd piece of ribbon onto your front piece. Stitch it 3″ in from the left edge (the edge the flap will be attached to) and centered.  Stitch one straight stitch, then zig zag over the raw edge of the ribbon.

Fold the ribbon back and stitch in place. Make sure you back stitch.

Place front and back pieces together, right sides together.  Round the 2 bottom corners as you did for your flap piece, and stitch a 1/4″ seam around the 2 sides and the bottom, leaving the top open. Clip your curves.

Stitch your 2 lining pieces together with 1/4″ seam, clip curves turn RIGHT side out and press.

Take your flap piece and slide it into your pouch.  You will want the right side of your flap facing the BACK side of your pouch. Stitch in place.

Slide the lining piece into the pouch, the lining will be RIGHT side out and the pouch will be wrong side out. Pin well.

Stitch around the top opening. Starting at one side seam around the back of the pouch (the part that the flap is sewn to) and ending at the other side seam. Make sure you backstitch. Do not sew the front.

Turn right side out.

To close the opening on the front of the pouch, turn under and pin. Then topstitch in place.

Clip your strings and press! (remember to use your leftover paper piece, as long as you have that piece you can press out the wrinkles that will come as you sew)

Enjoy! I think these would make fun and easy gifts at Christmas time!

linking up:

Get Your Craft On Tuesday

Comments

I will make the cover for a Kindle and just put it on the counter to show my husband – letting him know he just needs to provide the Kindle. Love the fabrics and the laminate.

iron on vinyl?? My “new” thing to learn today.{{{grin}}}} Thanks for the great idea….There’s a Christmas gift in the making! Found you on Tatertot’s and Jello linkee. I’m your newest follower.
    Have a wonderful long weekend:)

I love it! I have been meaning to make something like this for my own kindle so this perfect!! Thanks for the tutorial and linking to Get Your Craft On Tuesday, I wouldn’t have found your blog otherwise :)

Hi there — just found your blog by searching google for an iron on vinyl tutorial & am glad I did. Thanks so much for the tutorial & photos, they will work perfectly for the project I’m attempting, a laminated portfolio. Love your fabric choices too!

Now I’m wondering – I have a laminating machine at work. Could I use the machine and the laminating material I have there to laminate fabric?
    Thank you for the tutorial, it’s opened up a whole new world for me.

I just found out about this iron-on vinyl and was wondering if anybody had actually used it. Thanks for the great tutorial and the tips for working with the vinyl.

I love it! As a suggestion for the vinyl, you can use a makeup brush to dust baby powder on the vinyl and then any foot will be easy to sew it with! It’s a true lifesaver.

I’ll be making one soon! Thanks for the tutorial!

My Mom has a Kindle and her birthday is coming up, so I thought I’d make this. I saw that you made this for your “new” Kindle – so does this cover fit the newest, small, version of Kindle? My Mom’s is the older, bigger one. Thanks for the great tutorial!!

love this! where do i or can i find fusible fleece! i’ve seen this on a lot of tutorials and i have no idea where to find fusible fleece?

is it just regular fleece sewn in? or is it something else?

I just have to ask, are you LDS? I’m getting the vibes you are just from looking at your site! Cuz I am too, from Australia :) Love Tahnee (this is my husbands account, incase you were thinking I had a man’s name!!)

11. Karen says

Love your Kindle cover! Wished I’d read this two days ago, could have saved the money I spent on a pattern (already cut out) to make a cover. I will check here first next time I need a pattern. Thanks.

12. Tiffinie says

i was just wondering if this would work for a kindle fire i dont know what the size difference is. if there is a difference could u maybe help me figure out how to make it work for my kindle fire. Thanks

I don’t think it will work for the kindle fire, most kindles are all different sizes. If I had a Kindle fire I’d be glad to measure it for you and make a suggestion… but I don’t…. I would recommend measuring your kindle then adding 1-2″ to the measurements for the size of your cut pieces.

Thanks for the tutorial! I just bought a new Kindle, the basic $69 one, and this fit perfectly! I used regular fabric with no vinyl and felt as interfacing. The only minus is that I can’t get the bow to look nice. Otherwise, very happy with it!