New Tutorial: His & Hers Baby Quilts

This tutorial first appeared on  Moda Bake Shop

I’m a mom of twins, a boy and a girl.  A friend of mine just had twins herself and I decided it might be fun to find a way to use the same fabric line to make a boy and a girl version quilt.  I got the idea for this quilt from a pillow I made for Moda Bake Shop last year. You can see it here, it would be fun to make one to match the quilt using your scraps.

1 Layer Cake: (you can use 1 layer cake for both quilts) I used Tweet Tweet by Keiki
1 yard white fabric per quilt for the center
1 yard fabric per quilt for backing
1/2 yard fabric per quilt for binding
Batting
Heat N Bond Lite
Buttons, colored thread to embellish applique
Smiley Monster Font (can be downloaded free)

First you will want to sort and pick your fabrics. Take your layer cake and divide it into a “boy” and a “girl” pile.
Next you want to decide which layer cake squares you want to use for the block border.  You will also want to set aside the layer cake squares you want to use for the applique names & shapes. If you want to have the tree applique (like on the boy quilt) you may need more than one layer cake piece to get enough  trees to cut out.
Cut the layer cake squares you want to use for the border in half so that they are 5″ x 10″. You will need a total of (14)  5″ x 10″ blocks for each quilt. I used some fabrics twice, but you will have plenty of layer cake pieces if you do not want to repeat any fabrics.
Sew (4) 5″ x 10″ pieces together along the short sides. Press & set aside. Repeat.
Sew (3) 5″ x 10″ pieces together along the short sides. Press & set aside. Repeat.
Cut your white fabric to 29 3/4″ x 29 1/2″

Sew one of the 3 block strips to the 29 1/2″ side of the white fabric. Repeat by sewing the other 3 block strip to the other side.

Press.

Sew the 4 block strips to the other 2 sides of the white block. Press. Trim off excess if necessary.

Quilt as desired. I quilted mine with a walking foot in straight lines approximately 2″ apart.

Using a word processing program and the font Smiley Monster, print your name approx 4″ tall. You may need to make it slightly smaller if you are printing a large name.

Trace the letters backwards onto the slick side of a piece of Heat n Bond Lite. Cut out roughly and iron onto wrong side of fabric. Cut out. You can see photos of my applique method here.

Apply to lower right hand corner of the quilted top approx. 2″ from the bottom border.

I used the bird in the fabric as a guide for my bird appliqué.  I just scanned the fabric and printed the bird  enlarged so that it is about 4″ tall.  I then pieced it using scraps from my layer cake.
Stitch around the letters and pieces of the bird.  Using brown thread in your machine stitch in legs for the bird.  Sew a button for its eye.
For the boys quilt, I cut out 5 trees from the layer cake pieces. I applied Heat n Bond Lite to the back and ironed them onto the quilt top. I then stitched around the edges, using brown thread for the tree trunks.
After you have finished the applique, bind the quilt as desired.
Finished size is approx: 30″x30″

Comments

One question – I get all my fabric from The Ribbon Retreat and they don’t have the layer cakes. How much fabric do you think is needed for one quilt?

Okay. Kristi told me about the quilts. Gushed really. And still, when I saw this picture on my blog, my mouth dropped open and all I could say was WHOA! Unbelieveable. They are works of art. I can’t believe you whip up things like this and give them away. I think you qualify for sainthood.

You are amazing. And the quilts are gorgeous. To die for really!

I already printed the instructions from Moda and am waiting on pins and needles until my pregnant friend finds out what she is having! I’m going to use the font for a quilt for my daughter too. I’ll make sure to share a pic with you too!

Did I tell you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE these? They are draped over the babies’ bed right now. I am so lucky to have such a talented friend. I may have more babies just to get some more presents from you. :) TOtally worth it I’d say… Love yoU!

I absolutely LOVE these! You are so talented! Unfortunately, sewing is def not my strong point. Would you consider making and selling these? I would LOVE for my kids to have them, & my niece!

I like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and coverage! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve you guys to my blogroll.

Hello there, simply changed into aware of your weblog thru Google, and located that it’s really informative. I’m gonna be careful for brussels. I will appreciate in case you proceed this in future. Many folks will likely be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

8. Jennif says

Hi, do you make these for people? Do you have an Etsy store or another way for someone to purchase them? I really want to get one for my sister, but I don’t quilt.

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer, I tried to email you but it keep bouncing back to me. I don’t make these to sell right now. I just don’t have the time to devote to selling handmade items right now.
      Melissa

Hi, Melissa! My name is Lisa, and I posted a link to this quilt tutorial on my blog. I made this quilt for my nephew when he was born. This is the cutest pattern! I love the personalization and how quickly this comes together. Thank you for a wonderful pattern! :)
    thingsherelately.com

10. Courtney says

I am a beginner and need some help! – how do you do the name after the quilt is quilted? If you did it on the machine wouldn’t it go through all 3 layers? I’m sorry I know the answer is probably obvious I am just stumped. Thank you!