Ruler Wreath

Pin It

A couple of days I posted on the Polkadot Chair facebook page asking for ideas for a wreath for my front door. I was stumped, too late for summer, too early for fall.  Lots of people suggested that I do a back to school wreath. Then they suggested I use school supplies to make it then VOILA I had and idea! (thanks guys!!!)…

I decided to made a wreath out of rulers! The idea might have come from my unnatural obsession with starburst mirrors lately – I thought this was a fun spin on that idea.

I purchased wooden rulers for .50 a piece at Target. I then cut them in half. (I used a saw, it was pretty easy).  This wreath took 14 rulers in all.  You could also use 6″ rulers, but I couldn’t find any and I liked the variation of the numbers when you cut them in half.

After you cut all of your rulers in half,  you will hot glue half of the rulers to a 6″ embroidery hoop.  Leave a little space between each one, and try to space them evenly.

Hot glue the remaining rulers on top of the space between the rulers on the bottom row.  You will get a starburst design.

Next, cut a slit in the other half of the embroidery hoop. Fit it into the center of the wreath, mark where they meet.  Cut off the excess so that the hoop fits into the space.

Hot glue in place.

When you are done the wreath base will look like this. I kinda like it just plain… but decided to decorate it up a bit.

I added a few scrapbooking supplies (most are Jenni Bowlin) and some flowers that I had to the corner. I just used hot glue.

I love the way it looks on the front door, I’m just not sure if I trust it out there with the humidity- I think I’ll move it indoors, which means,  I still need to come up with an idea for the front door :)

Daily Crafting Deals at Craftsy.com

Comments

Is it strange that this is the sixth year that I’ve been on “extended maternity leave” and my first thought was “Oh, that would look great in my classroom?” Oh well, it’s adorable. I’ll just make it for home instead!

This is so creative!! And the results are darling. I love it! I’m going to share this on my crafty facebook page : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

I don’t have kids, but I am an artist, so the theme still fits. I’ve already got ideas forming for how to make it more ‘me’. ;-)

Would you mind if I shared this at my art blog (with full credit of course). :-)

My boy is 5 & we are starting home school this year, so this looks like a fun idea for decorating the “school house door” which is really just the attic door. Thanks for the fantastic, fun idea!

Hi Melissa – I did a post a day ago about one of those shim mirrors. I mentioned that I had seen one with rulers and would look for it.
    I found it this morning and posted it on my blog, and did give you credit for it. The rulers look great, too.

Let me now if I did this right as it’s my first time posting with other’s material.

A wonderful idea, using your method made one for my sister in her school colors. She starts her 5th year in a couple of weeks, but at a new campus with a new age group (8th graders) I hope the wreath I made with your lovely inspiration, reminds her what an amazing thing she does every day. Thanks so much for the idea, and the tutorial, it was such fun, can’t wait to take it to her tomorrow!

7. Florida Pati says

I’m a math teacher… I’ve gotta make this for my classroom! I’m going to add a round chalkboard to the center with my name painted on it to welcome my new students next year! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

8. Karan says

I just made mine!!! I can’t wait to out it on my classroom door for the first day of school, and…see all the compliments from my colleagues!!

9. Danielle says

Hi! I love this idea! So cute!

I’d like to create this but I’m confused about the middle of the wreath. After you glue the rulers on top of the first set – do you use another embroidery hoop? I’m having a block and can’t figure out what what you mean by cutting the hoop in half. Sorry! Help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!