We had a fantastic weekend! I love that the Kentucky Derby turns the first weekend in May into one big week long holiday here!
The horses are beautiful to watch run, but what’s even more fun is the people watching…
About our Derby Cupcakes:
Derby Pie Cupcake Recipe:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 1/4 C packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- mini chocolate chips
- whole pecans
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 c unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners
- Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time. Sift together flour, salt & baking powder in a separate bowl. Add half of the buttermilk to the egg/sugar mixture. Add half of the dry ingredients. Add the other half of buttermilk then the other half of the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add vanilla.
- Mix in chocolate chips and finely chopped pecans until just combined.
- Scoop out into cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Roll out refrigerated pie crust on a cookie sheet and poke with a fork several times. Cook according to package directions until just golden brown. Break into large pieces.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar. Beat until well combined. Add 1 lb of powdered sugar slowly until all is combined. Add vanilla.
- After the cupcakes are cooled, frost (I used a star icing tip and a piping bag to frost them).
- Garnish with a whole pecan, mini chocolate chips, 1 large piece of pie crust. Sprinkle more crumbled pie crust on top.
More fun Kentucky Derby Ideas: