I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chocolate Chip cookies, they along with Rice Krispie treats are my biggest weakness when it comes to sweets. I’m not much for candy, but give me a good cookie and I’m in heaven!
These are in my humble opinion the best chocolate chip cookies… gooey, chewy, salty and sweet yummy. Plus they have oatmeal in them so I can try to “convince” myself that they are healthy (which they are not!).
This recipe has been in my family since I was a little girl. My mom got it from our sweet neighbor down the street and it became our “go to” chocolate chip recipe growing up. It makes a bunch (about 6 dozen) but they freeze beautifully, so if you don’t want that much temptation around your house all at once you can save some for later. Or just give them to a neighbor.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
Our Family’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups shortening
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 t. of baking soda dissolved in 2 T of water
- 3 cups flour
- 4 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 t salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 pkg semi sweet chocolate chips
- Cream sugars and shortening until fluffy. In a separate bowl combine the beaten eggs, vanilla, baking soda/water mixture & salt. Slowly add to the shortening/sugar mixture.
- Slowly add 3 c. of flour then add the 4 c. of oats.
- With mixer set on stir add the chocolate chips. Beat until just incorporated.
- Scoop out onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes or until edges are just golden brown.
More Cookie Recipes: