I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chocolate Chip cookies, they along with Rice Krispie treats are my biggest weakness when it comes to sweets. I’m not much for candy, but give me a good cookie and I’m in heaven!
These are in my humble opinion the best chocolate chip cookies… gooey, chewy, salty and sweet yummy. Plus they have oatmeal in them so I can try to “convince” myself that they are healthy (which they are not!).
This recipe has been in my family since I was a little girl. My mom got it from our sweet neighbor down the street and it became our “go to” chocolate chip recipe growing up. It makes a bunch (about 6 dozen) but they freeze beautifully, so if you don’t want that much temptation around your house all at once you can save some for later. Or just give them to a neighbor.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
Our Family’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups shortening
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 t. of baking soda dissolved in 2 T of water
- 3 cups flour
- 4 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 t salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 pkg semi sweet chocolate chips
- Cream sugars and shortening until fluffy. In a separate bowl combine the beaten eggs, vanilla, baking soda/water mixture & salt. Slowly add to the shortening/sugar mixture.
- Slowly add 3 c. of flour then add the 4 c. of oats.
- With mixer set on stir add the chocolate chips. Beat until just incorporated.
- Scoop out onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes or until edges are just golden brown.
More Cookie Recipes:
Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
That sounds like the Neiman Marcus cookies. I’ve got a recipe for a cookie that calls for roasted almonds and dark chocolate. The recipe makes 6 dozen cookies so it’s great to hand out at Christmas or for a crowd and they’re phenomenal with milk! I’ve also sent some to troops.
Richard Healey says
Your making me hungry. Good thing the wife is making some sugar cookies right now. I know not chocolate but hey they are good. And the chocolate does not agree right now with my pregnant wife.
Just got through making them, you made me hungry. LOL Thanks for the recipe.
Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .
. Anyways, good blog!