Patchwork Skirt tutorial

So a very exciting thing happened to me last month. I was asked to be a Moda Bake Shop designer!

I was SOOOOOO excited! I didn’t dare say anything until I had my first post up over there, but today I have my first tutorial on the Moda Bake Shop…

It’s this patchwork skirt tutorial.

If you want to make one you’ll need:

1-2 Wonderland Charm Packs (depending on size, I used 1, that did not include the t-shirt applique)1/2 yd matching fabric for waistband and ties1/2 yd matching fabric for skirt band

1/2″ wide elastic
for optional t-shirt

2 black buttons for owl eyes
heat & bond lite

owl applique download at amazing mae

This will yield a skirt size 6-8, instructions below for changing sizes:

Instructions:

Cut from waistband fabric:

4 waist band pieces (1 waist band front, 1 back, 1 waistband lining front, 1 waistband lining back)

4″x 13″

2 tie pieces

5″ x 23″ (or width of your fabric 22-23″)

From Skirt band fabric cut

2 pieces:

5″ x 32.5″

From your charm pack, lay out a pattern of squares that you would like for the skirt front.

You will have 2 rows of 7 squares.

Pin Pieces together

Sew the 1st row of 7 squares together using a 1/4″ stitch- it is very important to keep all your seams the same. My machine has a setting for a 1/4″ stitch. Press seams open on row 1.

Repeat for row 2

Pin and sew row 1 to row 2.

Repeat for Skirt back

You will end up with 2 panels, 2 squares by 7.

Mark, with a fabric marker, the 2 edge squares. This is so you will know where your side seams are (this will beimportant when attaching the skirt to the waist band) Do NOT sew side seams yet.

With right sides together, attach skirt band to bottom of skirt. (skirt band will overlap skirt at this point) Sew with 1/4″ seam.

Press seams towards skirt band.

Sew side seams together.

Turn under bottom edge of skirt band 1/2″ and press.

Fold skirt band in half so that the pressed edge covers the seam of the skirt/skirt band. PIN in place from the RIGHT side of the skirt.

Top stitch skirt band. Sew on skirt band about 1/8″ away from skirt bottom seam

Fold tie pieces in half length wise. Sew with 1/4″ seam. At the end sew and angle, so that the tie comes to a point.

Trim. Turn right side out and press.Repeat for tie #2

Take waist band FRONT piece. Pin ties to it, 3/4″ down from the top. Baste in place.

Attach waist band BACK to front, sew at side seams. Press open seams.

Sew waist band lining pieces together at side seams. Press open seams.

Sew waistband to waistband lining at TOP seam. Press open.

Fold waist band at top seam. Press well. Come down 5/8″ from the top and sew a casing. Leaving a 1″ opening for the elastic.

On skirt, run two rows of gathering stitches, starting and stopping at side seams. (it’s easier to gather a skirt in 2 pieces than one really long gathering stitch)

Pin RIGHT side of skirt to RIGHT side of skirt band, matching side seams. Sew, being careful not to catch ties in the seams.

Turn skirt inside out. Measure elastic to size and thread though casing. sew elastic together and close casing.

Press under unfinished edge of waistband lining 1/2″. Pin to skirt (covering gathers). Whip stitch closed.

VOILA! Your finished!!

Sizing:

This is how I figured the sizing:

My daughters waist is 20″, normally for gathers you double the waist, but I did not want this skirt as full so I took 20″ x 1.75 = 35″, which is 7 charm squares.

Since she is small I thought 2 rows of squares would look best. If you are making a larger size, add a 3rd row of squares.

If making it smaller, just use less squares across (say 5 or 6 instead of 7)

For the waistband measurement I took her hip measurement.

For the ties I wanted to conserve fabric, so I cut the 1/2 the width of my fabric. They BARELY fit, I would make them longer if you have enough fabric.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Thanks!!

Owl applique, from Amazing Mae (click on owl applique pattern on her side bar)

—————————-
added: If you are looking for another version of the patchwork skirt I’ve made a new and improved tutorial. You can see it here:

*edited to add…. hi… I feel terrible that I have to add this… but this skirt tutorial is provided for your own FOR FUN at home use ONLY, please do NOT take this and make or sell a pattern of it, or produce it for commercial sale.. I want to keep putting this stuff up for free and to share, but only if everyone can play nice!****

Comments

Just found you via Moda Bake shop, and not only are you super creative, but in l’ville. My husband is from Louisville, and we lived there from 2003 to 2006. I miss so many things, and one is the amazing creative people that live there. I’ll be checking in often!

Found your blog via the Moda Bake Shop. I absolutely love this skirt and the tutorial looks so easy. I’ve never made clothes before, but I think I could totally do this. Is it possible to tailor the pattern for an adult? I would love to have one of these skirts of my own! :)

Couldn’t have happened to a better person! I’m so excited for you and lucky to know you away from blog land too!

Darling skirt!

This one is has the best colors. I love it. The owl applique goes with it perfectly. Thanks for including me in this one!

Congratulations! I have spent waayy too long going through your blog, but i can’t help it, it is FABULOUS!!! You are simply awesome!

You go girl!!!!!! Love! Love! Love! The skirt is so amazing. Have a few questions, if you don’t use the 1-2 Wonderland Charm Packs, how much fabric do you need, and how big are the squares?
    Keep it up!

Another amazing skirt!? You are fantstic, you do the best tutorials, I am soooo excited to make this for my daughters!

I am so excited about this skirt (don’t let the phase end!) that I’m going to squeeze in a trip to the quilt shop before I go to a meeting!

I just made it this afternoon for my niece! Great directions and FABULOUS concept. That sash is fantastic!

Needless to say, my sister was thrilled. And, I had a great time with my project. Now I just need something as fun for my little boy…

Raechel

I was looking at this pattern and wondering- you say you did 20″ x 1.75 for the gather which is 7 charm squares, but then you use 14 squares because you have 7 in the front and 7 in the back- is this correct? That would then be a total of about 70 inches around instead of the 35 inches. Can you help me understand this?

Do you think this would work with Corduroy? Also, if I didn’t have a charm pack and need to cut my own squares, what size should they be?

Thanks!

Anne. I tried to answer your question but your profile is private so I’ll post here…
    technically it would work with corduroy… but corduroy frays ALOT so I would only do it if you sewed all the seams with a serger.. otherwise you’ll have a big mess.
    The charm squares are 5″ each!
    HTH
    Melissa

Okay, I’ve look ALL over, and can’t see WHERE to purchase “Charm Packs.” I’m sure I’m just overlooking it….but I wanna try one of these!!

I love your stuff and I am so excited to try to sew some skirts. I have 3 daughters and i LOVE to have them match and with sizes so different this will solve my problems.. hello spring and new skirts!!! Thanks for sharing.

15. Sonia's says

I stumbled across this tutorial while looking for something to make my daughter. I have just finished the skirt using stripes and polka dot squares from an old duvet cover and it is stunning! Thankyou so much for the tutorial, easy to follow x