DIY Necktie Zip Pouch

DIY Necktie Zip Pouch

My husband was about to give away a bunch of stained and old neckties, sensing a creative project I snagged them before they were donated.  I turned the old ties into these DIY Necktie Zip Pouches. A very very simple sewing project that would make a great Christmas DIY gifts for men or that ever elusive teenage boy!

DIY Necktie Zip Pouch

Each pouch is made from 2 ties, one for the front of the pouch and one for the back. Are you surprised you can get so much fabric from a tie? So was I!

Repurposed Necktie Idea

I had so much fun making these that I just kept going and made more. I think that this would be a great handmade gift for a man for Christmas but would work equally for a girl. Just pick out some more feminine prints.

DIY Necktie Zip Pouch

For one of the pouches I added a contrast stripe to the center (the fabric that’s on the back of the pouch). You could have a lot of fun mixing and matching the patterns of the ties.

I even reused the tag from the back of the tie, a fun little touch especially if the ties are sentimental.

DIY Necktie Zip Pouch

Want to make one? Here’s how!

necktie-zip-pouch-1

You need:

• 2 neckties
  • 7” metal zipper
  • Shape Flex Fusible Interfacing
  • Fusible Fleece
  • 1 fat quarter for lining
  • Zipper foot for sewing machine

necktie-zip-pouch-2

Begin by carefully pulling the stitches out of the back of the necktie. Most ties are basted together and the stitches should come out easily. Open up and continue unpicking the tie down to the point.

necktie-zip-pouch-3

Next remove all of the interfacing and press the fabric from the front of the tie well. You’ll need some steam to get it to lay flat again.

necktie-zip-pouch-5

From the tie, cut a piece that is 10” wide and 7” tall. Start measuring 10” from the widest part of the fabric.  You can adjust the size if you need to based on the size of your tie, but this is pretty standard.

necktie-zip-pouch-4

Now cut the shape flex into 2 10” x 7” pieces and iron onto the back of the 2 pieces cut from the tie.

Cut out 2 pieces from your fat quarter that are 10” x 7”.  Iron fusible fleece onto the back of these two pieces.

necktie-zip-pouch-6

Cut from the tie another piece of fabric that is 3” x 5”. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and press. Open up and turn under each long end 1/4” and press.

Cut this piece in half lengthwise so that you have 2 folded pieces.

diy-christmas-gift-ideas

Pin one folded piece over the end of each end of the zipper so that 1/2” of the zipper is covered by the fabric. Top stitch in place. Trim fabric to width of zipper.

gift-idea-for-teenage-boys

Fold the tag of the tie in half and stitch to the right side of one of the cut tie pieces.

free-sewing-pattern

Next make a “sandwich” with the zipper in the middle.

The right side of the zipper will be facing the right side of the tie fabric, the wrong side of the zipper will be facing the right side of the lining fabric.

necktie-zip-pouch-tutorial

Using a zipper foot stitch this seam, I recommend a 1/4” – 3/8” seam allowance.

diy-zip-pouch

Repeat for the other side of the zipper.

sewn-gift-ideas

Press the seams away from the zipper and top stitch along both sides of the zipper. This will help keep your lining out of your zipper and you zip and unzip the pouch.

how-to-sew-a-necktie-pouch

Unzip the zipper.

Pin the pouch with outside pieces matching and lining pieces matching. Pin zipper towards lining pieces. Stitch with a 1/2” seam allowance round the entire pouch leaving a 4” opening in the lining to turn the pouch right side out.

Clip the corners and trim the seam allowances on the lining down to 1/8”. Turn the pouch right side out. Slip stitch opening closed and press well!

DIY Necktie Zip Pouch

Have fun making zip pouches!

DIY Necktie Zip Pouch
Connect with me:

follow-on-pinterest-button

logo_facebook

Comments

1. VickiT says

These are awesome. Thank you. A few years ago I had seen a super cute skirt made from men’s ties. The next time I went to the Salvation Army store I checked to see if they had any ties for sale and they had a ton of them. I bought a bunch of them so I’d have them when my Granddaughter was older so I could make some skirts. But, I think I might want to make some of these instead with those ties if I get time.

These are such a great idea! I am always in need of little pouches to store things in, and ties at the thrift store are inexpensive which makes this a super budget friendly way of achieving them!

My husband worked at Brooks Brothers while we were dating
    These pouches will be the perfect stocking stuffer–manly, but great for travel. Thanks for the tutorial!

4. Kathleen says

I love this pouch! I collected a bunch of my Dad’s ties after he passed away and would love to make some of these. But what is Shape Flex fusible interfacing? I know what fusible interfacing is but I’m not familiar with Shape Flex. Is it just a brand name and any fusible would do? Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

5. Kim Hart says

This is such a cool idea! I love so many tie prints but didn’t know how I could use them…now I do. :) Thank you!

6. Elaine says

Was looking for a “guy” pouch idea and found this! Now annoyed my dad got rid of all his ties 10 years ago when he moved… guess I’ll head to the thrift store! Btw, why use interfacing + fusible fleece?? Could it work with just the fusible fleece?

7. Hannah says

Have you tried expanding the sides to form a dopp kit, maybe using laminate instead of fat squares for lining? I like the idea of this zipper pouch, but my guy could use a little more room to store a razor and creams.

The size of the bag is controlled by the size of the tie- since a tie is in the shape of a triangle you could make it longer but not wider. I would not recommend laminate for the interior- if you press the bag, the laminate will melt and stick together on the inside making it so you couldn’t open it. You could use laminate as long as you never ironed the pouch.

I always feel the need to rescue ties at garage sales. I have a box of them and now have a great new project to try. Great tute. Thanks so much for sharing.

9. Beth says

Melissa, Thank you so much for this tutorial. I found it on Pinterest and I’m making a bunch as gifts for my quilt group. Here’s one thing I learned that helped immensely:
    When I used the older real silk ties, I found the fabric slid around and stretched out of shape so I thought I had a nice square cornered rectangle and then when I moved it, I did not…and then it didn’t match the other one I cut. So I finally got smart and cut the shape and flex FIRST, then ironed it onto the tie and cut. MUCH easier. Also, I could plan placement of pattern better that way too.

Hello my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and come
    with almost all significant infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

1. […] Melissa Mortenson from Fourteen May and Polka Dot Chair shows how you can make a zippered pouch out of an old tie.  Check out the little tab  sewn into the side.  It’s made from the label on the back of the tie.  Love it!  This would make a great handmade gift for a guy.  Or, make them as memory pieces, from the neckties of a loved one who has passed away.  Go to Polka Dot Chair to see how to make one. […]

2. […] Melissa Mortenson from Fourteen May and Polka Dot Chair shows how you can make a zippered pouch out of an old tie.  Check out the little tab  sewn into the side.  It’s made from the label on the back of the tie.  Love it!  This would make a great handmade gift for a guy.  Or, make them as memory pieces, from the neckties of a loved one who has passed away.  Go to Polka Dot Chair to see how to make one. […]

3. […] Now most of those ties found a home, but there’s still about a dozen orphans that won’t be making their way to our closet. So this project by blogger and sewer, Melissa Mortenson, will be a great way to give these ties a second life. Requires a tiny bit of sewing expertise, but nothing all that complicated…and the instructional photos are a great help. You can check out the full tutorial here. […]