Stitch up a set of simple canvas zip bags that are perfect for Valentine’s Day or any other occasion with our free zip pouch sewing tutorial.
Recently I stitched up a set of zippered pouches to gift to my girlfriends on Valentine’s Day. The bags are so simple to create that you can stitch up a bunch in an afternoon. They are also a great project for a crafternoon!
About the Bags
The bags are constructed from white canvas (sometimes called duck cloth). To soften my canvas I washed and dried the cut of fabric before I started sewing. I love how washing and tumble drying gives the canvas a soft, wrinkly texture. I’ve done this with a darker color canvas as well and have always loved how it turns out.
The lining of the bags is created from Riley Blake quilting cotton. I took my inspiration for the colors on the front of the bags from the lining fabric.
Zip Bag Designs
I designed 3 different bags:
- LOVE Zip Pouch
- 3 Hearts Pouch
- Red Heart Pouch
The downloadable template includes applique patterns for all 3 versions. Mix and match the appliques any way that you’d like.
I’ve created a short video of the construction process. It’s a “sped up” version and should give you a really good overview of the construction steps to create the bags!
How to Get the Printable Pattern Pieces. You can get a copy of the pattern pieces used in this project in our Template Library. Access to the library is for our Newsletter subscribers, and subscriptions are free. Please visit this page and follow the instructions to get the pattern pieces. PLEASE READ the instructions on that page. NOTE: The PDF only contains the pattern piece; you still need to read this tutorial to complete your project.
Canvas Zip Pouch Tutorial
Create the Applique
- Download and print out the template for the hearts & "love".
- Trace the design you want onto the paper side of the heat n bond.
- Cut out loosely.
- Iron on the wrong side of the felt, according to the directions on the package of heat n bond.
- Cut out again, precisely this time.
Attach to Bag
- Remove the paper backing and place the cutout applique shape on the front of your 8" x 10" canvas bag piece.
- Adhere it using your iron.
- Stitch around the applique with your sewing machine close to the edge of the shape.
Create the Zip Pouch
- Pin the right side of the zipper to the right side of the top of the canvas front piece (the piece with the applique).
- Pin the right side of the lining piece to the wrong side of the zipper.
- Using the zipper foot for your sewing machine, stitch in place.
- Repeat steps with the other canvas and lining pieces on the other side of the zipper.
- Press the seams away from the zipper and topstitch along the sides of the zipper.
- Unzip the zipper.Pin the canvas pieces and lining pieces together, right sides facing. When you pin, be sure to have the teeth of the zipper facing the lining.
- Stitch around the outside edge using a ½" seam allowance, leave a 4" opening in the lining.
- Turn right side out. Test to make sure it zips properly.
- Turn under the raw edges in the lining and stitch closed using a sewing machine or a hand sewing needle.