Have you wanted to learn how to sew a zipper pouch? I’ve rounded up 40 of my favorite free Zipper Pouch Sewing Tutorials to share with you today… which one is your favorite??
I LOVE making zip pouches!! They make perfect gifts, sew up quickly and are easily customizable.
With a simple zip pouch sewing tutorial, you can make a million different cute and clever gifts for your friends!
Learn How to Make a Zipper Pouch with these fun tutorials!
Free Zipper Pouch Tutorials on Polka Dot Chair Blog:
1. Dad’s Travel Bag, a Boxed Zip Pouch Tutorial – this zip bag is boxed making it great for travel. It also features a bit of leather trim.
2. Bow Front Clutch Zip Pouch. Add a bow to the front of a simple zipper bag and you’ve got a fun clutch.
3. Leather & Polka Dot Fold Over Clutch. We stenciled the polka dots on this zipper bag with gold metallic paint. You could get the same look using polka dot fabric if you like.
4. Seersucker & Leather Fold-Over Clutch. The touch of seersucker on this pouch makes it perfect for summer.
5. Polka Dot Zip Pouch with a leather bottom by Knitty Bitties – This pouch features both hand stitching and a bit of leather.
6. Nesting Doll Zip Pouches (Note: this is not a free pattern)
7. Monogrammed Leather Zip Pouches – so perfect to make as Christmas Gifts for Guys!
8. Batman Zip Pouches – Just an idea- not a full tutorial, but you can easily make them based on our Simple Zip Pouch Pattern linked below.
Zip Pouches that Make Great gifts:
9. Necktie Zip Pouches. Upcycle Dad’s old ties into something you’ll keep for a long time.
10. Sunglasses Case Tutorial. Stop losing your sunglasses! Stitch up a fun case to keep them in.
11. Polka Dot Zip Pouch – we used Iron on Vinyl to make the polka dots!
12. Embellished Zip Pouch – add a bit of ribbon or trim to a simple zip pouch pattern to give it a bit of extra POP!
13. Quilt as you go Zip Pouch. I created this zip pouch using a quilt as you go method. I link to the tutorial I used in the post.
14. Embroidered Zippy Pouches – A fun idea! You’ll need to use our Simple Zip Pouch tutorial linked below to make one.
15. iPad Cozy – a great little zip pouch to make to keep your iPad pens close by.
16. Zip Pouch made from a Shower Curtain – this one is an older tutorial but still one of my favorites. It’s so simple to make and quite inexpensive since you use a shower curtain as your fabric.
17. Lego Zip Pouch – this is one of the first projects that we featured on the blog over 10 years ago! One of these days I’ll go back and make it again, but you can get a general idea of how to make a clear zip bag from the tutorial.
18. Fat Quarter Zip Pouch Tutorial – The extra bit of cork around the top of this zip bag makes it unique.
Our Newest Zipper Pouch Tutorials:
19. Laminated Toiletry Bag. This bag is made entirely from laminate fabric, making it perfect for travel.
20. DIY Make Up bag with Vinyl Lining. This bag has a vinyl lining, to make it wipeable. Includes instructions to laminate your own fabric.
21. Fruity Cross Body Zipper Bags . These fun bags were made using a Cricut Machine. They would also make really cute pencil pouches for back to school.
22. Curved Top Make Up Bag Tutorial. This variation of a simple zip pouch features a curved top.
23. Mad Seamstress Zipper Pouch. Did you know you can print on fabric? That’s what we did for this fun pouch. You can download the printable and make one yourself.
24. Leather Trimmed Zipper Pouch Tutorial. The extra bit of leather at the corners of this pouch makes it extra fun.
25. I’m So Fancy Makeup Bag Sewing Tutorial. Another printable zip pouch!
26. Felt Heart Earbud Pouch Tutorial. These would make sweet valentine’s day gifts for kids!
27. Chalkboard & Fabric Pencil Pouch. This pencil pouch features a bit of chalkboard vinyl. You can wipe it off and write whatever you’d like. It’s a fun teacher gift idea.
28. Chalk Cloth Pencil Pouch Tutorial. This zip bag is made entirely using chalkboard vinyl. Doodle away to your heart’s content.
29. How to Make an Oilcloth Pencil Pouch. Since this pouch is made from oilcloth there is no need to finish the seams or line it. It’s a super simple zip pouch to make!
30. Waxed Canvas Zipper Bag Tutorial. This bag is made from waxed canvas. You can find tips for sewing with waxed canvas on the post.
More Zipper Pouch Tutorials from Great Sewing Blogs!
42. Zip Pouch with Exterior Pocket at Sew Happy Geek
To learn the basics of sewing a Zip Pouch check out these tutorials:
Once you understand how to make a simple zipper pouch you can EASILY transform it and customize it. You can add trim, buttons, and embellishments.
You can also change the size to make the zipper pouch ANY size you want. In the tutorials below, I teach you the basics of making a zipper pouch. You can then use those basics to create your own custom designs!
Note: this post has been updated from a previously published version. Originally published July 2014