Spruce up one a simple tee with a bit of fabric to create a cute summer t-shirt! This DIY t-shirt refashion project uses only scraps of fabric which makes it a great scrap busting project! It can easily be completed in an afternoon.
A while ago I saw a t-shirt with a contrasting scallop hem around the neckline. I thought it was such a cute and clever idea that I filed it in my “to make” pile. Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I saw the shirt the first time.
I decided to try a DIY version of the t-shirt. I’m so happy with how it turned out that I might need to make a few more.
This project starts with a basic plain white t-shirt which gets refashioned very simply, into a t-shirt with scallop detail around the neckline.
This project is a great scrap buster! Just pull out a selection of coordinating scraps and get sewing! I love the pop of bright colors on the plain white tee- I think it looks great with jeans.
Note: This project was posted previously it has been updated an improved.
Scallop Neck DIY T-Shirt Refashion
- Begin by tracing about 10 circles onto the paper side of your Heat N Bond Lite. Loosely cut out around each circle and iron onto a piece of scrap fabric.
- Cut out the circles. I cut mine out by hand as I did not want perfect circles on the shirt.
- After you’ve cut out the circles cut each circle in half.
- Peel off the paper backing and begin ironing the half circles to the t-shirt. Start at the center front of the shirt and iron down only one piece at a time. You may have to trim the last 2 or 3 circles to get them all to fit around the neckline perfectly.
- Now just sew around each half circle to secure.
- and you’re done! Now you’ve got a new (and inexpensive) fun summer t-shirt to wear!