Snuggly Bricks Quilt: Tuesday Tutorial..

brickquiltA

For Christmas last year my kids all were asking for lots of electronic toys. Fearing a Christmas morning full of noise and beeping, I decided they needed something soft and snuggly to balance out all of the technology.

I made each of my 3 kids a quilt, you can see the one I made for my oldest here… I shared it on Moda Bake Shop in the Spring.  This is the one I made for one of my twins, you’ll see the one I made for her brother in the coming weeks.

brickquilt1A

These have been the best quilts. The kids drag them all over the house, take them in the car and otherwise use and abuse them and they have held up great.  I just throw them in the wash and they come out clean and even more snuggly than before!

All 3 quilts were quick and easy, which was good since I only had 2 days to finish all 3…
This quilt uses fat quarters, and I’ve said before that I really really LOVE fat quarters! You get just a taste of alot of different fabrics, kinda like a quilt made of only appetizers :)

It’s backed in Moda Snuggles, and bound in satin binding. I would not use the satin binding if I did it again… but live and learn…

For this quilt you will need:

- 12 Fat Quarters
- 2 yards Snuggles
- 100% cotton batting
- Binding

To begin, you will want to cut your fat quarters into 6.5″ x 9.5″ blocks. You can get 4 blocks per fat quarter. Use the cutting guide below…

You will end up with 48 blocks. (you only need 45 for the quilt, save the extra for something else)

Next start sewing your blocks together.

The rows are staggered…
All of the odd rows are 5 blocks sewn together.
For the even rows, sew 4 blocks together, then cut your 5th block in half and sew 1/2 to each end as shown in the diagram above.

Then  just sew your rows together.  The blocks should be staggered like a brick wall.

Trim edges even if necessary. Make your quilt sandwich and machine quilt. If you’d like to see how I make my “quilt sandwich” click here, it’s explained on my table runner tutorial.

For the quilting I used a walking foot and did a stitch in the ditch over each seam.

Bind & Enjoy!!!

brickquilt2A

Fabric is Cosmo Cricket, Girl Friday collection.

linking up:

href=”http://somewhatsimple.blogspot.com”>giveaways

Comments

Oh gosh these are so cute!! What a great tutorial!! I’m putting this one in the files as maybe I’ll have time to make some quilts when the kids are finally back in school.

Thanks!
    Rachel

Thank you Melissa for the great tutorial. I have so many fat quarter collections (Fat Quarter shop), this pattern would make good use of them. Will cut one out this afternoon. BettyLou

annabelle at annabelleserendipity.blogspot.com says: love your snuggly bricks tutorial. So simple and thanks for sharing. I am a new crafter and new blogger and need inspiration so it is wonderful for me to find this blog. I have got to try it. Thanks.

Hi! I found your site off of Today’s Creative Blog! I love your craft! I have always wanted to learn how to quilt! I have twins as well, two boys! I just signed up to be your newest follower! Woo hoo! I hope you stop by my new blog. I just started it 2 months ago and would love new friends! Please come see me at http://www.modernfamilymagazine.com

-Heather-

How big does this quilt turn out? I have 2 girls and have bought Girl Scout fabric and want to do quilts for them for Christmas, but want the quilts to be big enough for them to use for quite a while…

Thanks!

I didn’t realize there was a mess up with the count! I think my quilt had 8 rows not 9… I’ve corrected it though- you need 12 fat quarters for 45 blocks of fabric.
        Or you can make the quilt 8 rows tall and stick with the 10 fat quarters.
        Sorry for the mixup!

I just used these instructions to raid my fabric stash and make 2 quilts for my nieces. I added a few borders to beef up the size, but otherwise followed your directions. Quick and easy! The quilts both came out great. I bookmarked your posting so that I can use it over and over.

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have been searching the internet for a few weeks trying to find a simple pattern — and this is perfect! I won a fat quarter bundle from Fat Quarter Shop and I will be using that to make this pattern, but in a queen size.

Linda :-)

I know this post is 2 years old but do you know where you got the alphabet fabric? I have a hard time finding alphabet fabric that I like and I just adore this quilt!! Thanks!

I am very much a beginner and I cut this in half an evening and pieced it in one morning. After I finish the baby quilts, I plan to change up the fabric for lap quilt donations for our local Veterans Home. Thanks so much.

10. Ann Stinson says

I’m about to try my first quilt ever and this looks relatively me-proof. :) However, I was wondering if you used 12 DIFFERENT patterned fat quarters or if some were the same. I know it probably won’t matter because of its design, but I’m a little neurotic that way…

• Margaret Burnett says

I don’t see why you cannot use 12 different fabrics. I certainly intend to. But then again, my favourite types of quilts are scrappy ones. I’m looking so forward to using up my “excess” fabric on these quilts. Have fun with your project.

11. Margaret Burnett says

Thank you so much, Melissa, for sharing your super easy & appealing pattern. What a convenient way of whipping up a baby quilt in a hurry.

12. Megan says

Hi there! I know this tutorial is like 3 years old so I know I’m a little late to the game :) but I have a question. I’m to the point of quilting this and have a question on quilting. You said you stitched in the ditch. Easy for long stretches across the quilt. For the up and down seams did you just sew in the ditch for a few inches and then move on to the next one? In other words was it a lot of broken runs or did you just go all the way from the bottom to the top? Sorry if this is totally confusing, just trying to figure out the best way to go about it!

thanks!
    Megan

13. Debra J. Farley says

I am about to start my first quilt ever…..I sew and crochet and have been wanting to quilt for quite some time but never have….I was going to take a class but my friend said just do it try something small, so I am but I am going to incorporate pictures into it….it will be a gift for my youngest daughter….I am so excited and I love this pattern….I will report back once I am done…wish me luck, I a little nervous!!!!

14. Mary E Haskins says

Love this site, actually understood what you were talking about. I sew and crotchet also but wanted to make a quilt. I’m am so going to do this! Thank you!!!