Does the start of the school year have you itching to make something new? If so then you may love today’s post. I’ve scoured the web to find more than 20 cute things to make for Back to School.
Many of these items make fantastic Teacher Appreciation Gifts as well! If you like this post, then you may also like these 25 Halloween Sewing Project Ideas.
Every year it seems like summer just flies by. I always have such mixed feelings when it comes to the first day of school. On one hand, I love the schedule free days and the opportunity to “lay around” the house all day. On the other hand, after a few days of “laying around the house,” my kids have a tendency to get a bit ornery and I’m faced with trying to find things for us to do.
20+ DIY Back to School Projects:
Either way, I love “back to school season”. I love walking into Target and seeing the stacks of pencils and crayons. I love the anticipation of a new year with its new challenges. When I was in college, I loved the day that I’d go to the bookstore and pick up my books for the year (I didn’t love the bill so much, but loved rifling through all the books at the BYU bookstore).
More than 20 Cute things to Make for Back to School:
If the back to school season has you itching to make something, today I’ve rounded up more than 20 projects that perfectly embody the spirit that comes with this time of the year.
Things to Sew:
Pencil Pouch Patterns & Tutorials:
1. Oilcloth Pencil Pouch: This simple Oilcloth pencil pouch is SO easy to stitch that you don’t even need to line it! Just use a rotary cutter to finish off the edges!
2. Chalk Cloth Pencil Pouch: Have a student who loves to doodle? Make them their own chalk cloth pencil pouch and they can doodle the day away.
3. Chalkboard Zip Pouch: This pouch uses just a bit of chalk cloth so you can customize it as you like. Add a name or a fun “word of the day” to the front.
4. How to Make a Simple Zip Pouch: In this tutorial, I walk you through the basics of creating a zip pouch. The tutorial includes instructions and tips to create a zip pouch in any size that you’d like.
5. Easy Pencil Pouch Pattern: This pencil pouch is so simple to stitch up! Let your kids personalize it with their favorite fabrics.
Reading & Book Pillows:
6. Study Pillow: Know a kid who loves to tote their homework with them all over the house? Make them a handy study pillow so they can stash their stuff easily.
7. On the Go Reading Pillow or Pocket Pillow: These fun reading pillows would be great for a “new” reader and make wonderful gifts! They are one of the most popular projects on this site! You can find a PDF version of this in the shop. The pattern has instructions to make the pillow in two different sizes.
Lunch Box and Book Bag Patterns & Tutorials:
8. Chubby Lunch ToteAnother CUTE lunch tote sewing pattern! I love that this one has lots of room for yummy treats!
9. Drawstring Backpack: If your little ones aren’t quite ready for a large backpack, this simple drawstring bag may be just right!
10. Derby Tote- Simple Book BagThis simple tote bag may be just what your teen needs to take with them to class!
11. Lunch Bag Pattern: Tote your lunch in style with this fun bag pattern!
12. Simple Library Bag Tutorial: Help encourage kids to keep track of their Library books with this cute tote bag. It’s a beginner level sewing project.
Cute Quilts to Make for Back to School:
13. Half Square Triangle Quilt The fun primary colors in this quilt make it perfect for Back to School!
14. Gingham Daydream Quilt: This fun quilt can be made in a variety of colors. It’s the perfect size to use for a bit of backyard reading!
DIY Back to School Supplies:
15. Shark Pencil Pouch: Make every week Shark Week with this fun DIY Shark Pencil Pouch.
16. Personalized Pencil Pouch Patterns: Easily personalize store-bought pencil pouches with a bit of iron-on vinyl.
18. Hogwarts Inspired House Notebooks: Pretend you’re going back to school at Hogwarts with these Harry Potter Inspired Pencil Pouches and these Hogwarts House Notebook Covers!
Things to help you stay organized at home:
19. Monogrammed Memo Board: At least “attempt” to stay organized this year with this DIY memo board and Back to School Homework Station! You know what they say “a place for everything and everything in its place!”
20. DIY Kitchen Homework Station: A few years ago I got tired of always searching for pencils and erasers for homework time. I created a homework station and afterward wondered why I never thought of it before.
Other Fun Back to School Craft Ideas:
21. Ruler Wreath: This Ruler Wreath is a fun way to celebrate back to school at your house, and it’s crazy easy to make!
22. DIY Covered Notebooks: Fancy up some simple composition notebooks with your kid’s favorite characters!
23. Pointillism Notebook: This notebook is so simple but the impact is nothing but!
24. Hit Snooze – Back to School T-Shirts: These DIY Back to School or “Back to Snooze” t-shirts are such a cute idea for teens and tweens! Click through to even a cut file to make your own!