My goal for the next few weeks is to help you out a bit with your Holiday gift giving. I’ll be posting ideas for gifts that you can sew, bake, make or buy. Some will be quick, and others will be well worth the extra time involved. Today I have for you a round-up of 15 gift ideas for girlfriends. (this post contains affiliate links)
Okay, let’s chat about Christmas…. when do you start your Holiday gift buying or making? I’m NOTORIOUS for waiting until after Thanksgiving and always start out with a list of things to make that is a MILE long. I usually end up giving up on most of it a few weeks before Christmas. Since I live in Kentucky, and most of my family lives in Utah, if I want to make gifts AND send them in time I really only have until about mid- December. Why after 20 years of living far away from family I haven’t figured this out I do not know!
This year I am attempting to start my gift planning/making earlier (although I’m guessing many of you may already be done) as I’ve been making lists of things to make, and buy, for the people I love in my life, I thought that I’d share with you some of the things that I’ve found.
Did you know there are OVER 500 sewing tutorials on this blog?? I counted a few weeks ago, it’s NUTS! I went spelunking deep into the archives to find projects that you may like to make for Christmas and Holiday gifts…
15 things to Make or Buy for your very best girlfriends:
Gift Ideas for Girlfriends; Things to Make
3. Infinity Scarf. This scarf is crazy simple to make and takes just a yard or so of knit fabric. Make one for a friend, then make one for yourself too!
4. Simple Zip Pouch- These pouches are SO easy to make. They are a beginner sewing project for sure. I find them to be so useful and are perfect for traveling.
5. Drawstring Laundry Travel Bag – Last year I made myself a set of drawstring travel bags and I’m surprised at how many times this year I’ve used them. I love the large laundry bag the most. Plus they are a super quick make if you need to create a bunch.
You can find a version of this bag made only with Fat Quarters HERE.
6. Chapstick Key Chain Holder. I’m always losing my chapstick! These make great gifts for girlfriends and for teachers.
7. Lip Gloss Pouch- For your friend who loves glam! Stitch her up a set of lipgloss pouches, and put some of her favorite lipsticks inside.
9. Christmas Pillows. A few years ago I stitched up a bunch of these and gave them to friends and family for Christmas. I even managed to gift them a week or so before the Holiday so that they could enjoy them early!
Let me tell you, every time I post a project I get lots of “can you just make it for me?” or “where can I buy something like that?” emails. So this year in addition to DIY gifts, I’m going to include a few suggestions for gifts to buy as well.
Gift Ideas for Girlfriends; to Buy:
Before I start this list… this list is meant as gifts for girlfriends, like your best girlfriends. Not your romantic partner girlfriend. If you’re looking for gifts for your girlfriend, I recommend something gold or sparkly *wink*.
10. A Beautiful Mug – fill it with supplies to make her favorite warm drink, whether it’s coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
11. Rifle Paper Co Calendar – I picked up one of these a few years ago fell in love, and now buy one every year! I love them so much that I save the calendars and frame the pages after the year is over.
12. A Beautiful Cheese Board If you have a girlfriend who loves to entertain or cook, a beautiful cutting board or cheese board makes a great gift. There are so many affordable ones out there for sale now.
13. S’Well Water Bottle. I bought one of these skinny water bottles last year and was surprised by how much I loved it! I ended up toting it with me everywhere. I especially loved it for airplane trips. So many airports now have water bottle refill stations! Get your own bottle so you don’t have to buy the exorbitantly priced water at the airport.
14. A Yeti Tumbler. My kids got me a YETI tumbler as a gift two years ago and I LOVE IT. I drink a lot of ice water and I love that I can fill it up with ice at the beginning of the day and it’s still cold at the end of the day. Make it extra special by adding a fun monogram.
15. Cozy Plaid Blanket Scarf – It seems the world has gone mad for plaid, and I could not be happier! This scarf would be a wonderful gift to keep your friends warm during the long winter months. Most are less than $20!
16. Volcano Scented Candle – My daughter talked me into buying this candle and let me tell you the scent is intoxicating! I’m really really picky about smells and this one is very pleasant and not too perfumey.